Breast ultrasound imaging uses sound waves to produce pictures of the internal structures of the breast. This procedure is primarily done to help diagnose breast lumps or other abnormalities your doctor may have found during a physical exam, mammogram, or breast MRI. Breast ultrasounds are safe, non-invasive, and do not use any radiation. This test is often administered when a change has been seen on a mammogram or when a change is felt but does not show up on a mammogram.
Breast ultrasounds are not done to screen for breast cancer, as it may miss some early signs of cancer. Early signs of breast cancer may not show up on ultrasound, so other equipment and procedures will need to be used in order to determine a diagnosis.
Why Might You Need a Breast Ultrasound?
- You have particularly dense breast tissue.
- A mammogram may not be able to see through this tissue.
- You are pregnant. Ultrasound does not use any radiation, making it safer for the fetus.
- You are younger than age 25.
- Your healthcare provider wants to look at nearby lymph nodes.
- Your healthcare provider needs to use ultrasound to guide a needle during a biopsy.
Why Choose Zwanger Pesiri?
Zwanger-Pesiri Radiology brings world-class expertise to the Long Island community. Our subspecialty-trained radiologists are Board Certified by the American Board of Radiology with fellowship training in a variety of specialties. They are highly-skilled, highly-knowledgeable, and make patient care a priority. To learn more, contact us today.